So here's the latest…
- 2014-We're now based in my hometown of Millbrook, NY…a short trip from NYC. I'm enjoying the peace and quiet here, and go into the city a couple of times a week for gigs. I'm still touring some too…had two great trips to Texas and the Southwest in the spring, and am looking forward to a week in Switzerland in November.
- 2012/13...another good year teaching at DCC...and a fall tour, with saxophonist Woody Witt...performances and masterclasses in Texas, Colorado and New Mexico. We also went to California in February, where I connected with Jazz Impact for some gigs too.
- Please visit my "Teaching/Clinics" page to arrange for online piano and improvisation lessons via Skype. There's also info about my recent college and high school masterclasses and clinics, and other activities in the world of Jazz Education.
- Two new CDs... "The Chris Flory Quintet featuring Scott Hamilton" on Arbors Jazz, recorded at Nola Studios, here in NYC. "Counting Your Blessings" is with vocalist Dwayna Litz, featuring arrangements and orchestrations by Tim Ouimette which we recorded in August 2011.
- 2011-Gigs here in NYC, and teaching at Dutchess Community College in Poughkeepsie, NY, with classes in Jazz History, Improv and many piano students. Some traveling too...in February to Chicago, and to Michigan. Also an upstate New York tour in March, a trip to London with Jazz Impact, and two trips to New Orleans in May and June.
A summer tour in Brazil with The John Allred Sextet for the "I Love Jazz" festival. Then a week of gigs and teaching in the North Country of NY State in October, and a week in Texas in November, including a concert at UT San Antonio with Houston Person.
- 2010-two trips to London in January, and a three-week US tour in April, with gigs in Arizona, Texas, New Mexico and Florida. Other trips were to Virginia, California and the Midwest….in Germany and Austria in the summer, and back to Germany and France in December.
- Please click on this link to read a recent review of my CD Carousel, written by Mike Neely at All About Jazz. Carousel is still available on the CDs page.
- 2009 Highlights: Gigs in Houston, New Orleans, Ontario, Michigan, Chicago, and Zurich with JazzImpact. A return to Alaska for teaching and gigs in Fairbanks and Anchorage, and a masterclass/concert at Houston Community College. Trio gigs in Albuquerque, Santa Fe, Las Vegas, and Castine, ME. Also visited Bordeaux, France for a concert and masterclasses.
My solo piano recording on Arbors Records Just Me, Just You is available on the "CDs" page. It features jazz standards, and a few of my own compositions. The liner notes were written by the renowned jazz critic Nat Hentoff.
All About Jazz recently posted a review of Just Me, Just You. Please have a look: http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/article.php?id=30153
They've also released a group review of solo piano recordings, including mine, at http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/article.php?id=30290
2008 Highlights: Fairbanks, AK teaching at the University of Alaska. New York State Tour: The LH Trio with Lee Hudson-Bass and Tom Melito-Drums. Gigs in Mainz and Mannheim, Germany, New Orleans, and two trips to Banff in the Canadian Rockies. A week at Marian's Jazz Room in Bern, Switzerland with an 8-piece group led by Warren Vache. Gigs with Catherine Russell and her band in North Carolina and Virginia. An All-Star tribute to Earl May, with myself, Dave Glasser, Eddie Locke, Catherine Russell, Houston Person, Benny Powell, and Lee Hudson. Played the Cape Cod Jazz Festival with Dave Schnitter's Quintet.
More recent recordings:
Businessman's Bounce, Bill Easley's recent CD on 18th & Vine Records, with myself, Hassan Shakur on bass and Michael Carvin on drums. There are also guest appearances by Frank Wess and Warren Vache. The CD was on the Top 10 jazz radio playlists for many weeks in fall-winter of 2007-08.
Almost Modern-The Swing to Bop Project, by Dan Block and quintet. Music and arrangements from the '40s, when jazz was evolving from the swing era into "modern" jazz, or bebop. This was a very enjoyable project-Highly recommended!
Carousel, my 2007 trio release, features Lee Hudson on bass and Tom Melito on drums. Of the twelve tracks, seven are my compositions, including the title track, Carousel. It is available on the "CDs" page.
Sentimental Streak, Catherine Russell's new CD, is a gem. I'm on just three tracks, but it's a really fine recording throughout; with a great selection of tunes and arrangements, and of course the always wonderful Cat!